First time authors have a hard time getting their first contract. Many of us have been there and it is discouraging to say the least. Solstice Publishing has published many first time authors and are actively seeking fresh new writers to add to our Solstice family. Many authors got their foot in the publishing door by writing short stories. This is a great way for authors to build their catalog while they work on their longer novels. At Solstice, we believe every book has a home. It may or may not be with us but we invite you to see if we’re the right home for your story.
Solstice Shadows publishes Fantasy, SciFi, Paranormal, Horror, and all sub-genres therein. If you have a short story that falls into one of these genres, we welcome you to read on and consider entering our short story contest.
Official Contest Information:
Solstice Shadows wants to read your short stories!
Do you have a short story collecting dust? Are you an aspiring author who wants to be published? Are you an established author who is willing to take risks? Are you a self-published author who wants to see what it’s like working with an Indie Publisher?
Solstice Shadows is hosting a short story contest starting June 1st through July 6th 2015.
* Accepted genres: Fantasy, SciFi, Horror, Paranormal, and all sub genres therein. (We do not accept non-fiction/overtly religious stories/pornography)
* Story length: Up to 20K words.
* The story cannot be currently for sale on any platform.
- Click on ‘Solstice Shadows’
- Type “Shadows Short Story Submission” in the ‘Title’ box.
- Your cover letter should tell a little about your story and a little about you.
- Follow the directions for submitting your story.
1st place – A 3 year contract for the short story, A promotional video highlighting the book and author, and a FB release party hosted by Solstice Publishing.
2nd Place – A 3 year contract for the short story, a promotional video highlighting the book and the author.
3rd Place – A 3 year contract for the short story.
Winners will be notified by August 1st,2015 via email.
How will the stories be judged? Here’s what we’re looking for in no particular order:
- Submission guidelines followed
- A social media presence
- An exciting first scene.
- A clear and organized plot.
- Interesting characters.
- Engaging dialogue.
- Correct grammar/punctuation
- A satisfying conclusion to the story
- A unique voice.
We hope you decide to enter and look forward to reading your stories. If you have any questions, feel free to email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or catch us on Twitter (@solsticeshadows)